Newbie from Southeast Missouri

Where members can introduce themselves and giving alittle info on themselves

Postby tbrell » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Hello all! My name is Tony and am 24 years old. I will very soon be from Hillsboro, MO, but grew up in Waterloo, IL. I purchased this tractor from a fellow named Larry from Laddonia, MO, he seemed to be very familiar with these tractors and some people on here may know him. I just purchased my Case 448 with a custom fitted loader today. It has a Onan performer 18hp engine that is said to be 12 years newer than the rest of the tractor.

I purchased this tractor to put it to use, not as a show piece. I will use it to fix my driveway, plow snow, and do other landscaping work. It did come with a mower deck, as well, but our new house does not have a big yard as it's mostly woods, so I'm not sure how much use it will get.

I didn't get a lot of time to take a real close look at it today, but It know it does need some TLC.

Here are some questions I have about this thing:

I think Larry said it was a 1978 model, but from the little bit of research I've done, it seems that these weren't put into production until 1980? Where would the serial number be, so that I can do some research to get some more info on it.

I believe I will want a service manual before I do any kind of work on it, so where could I find one for it?

It became quite clear to me that the brakes do not work and they are very necessary to work on this tractor, as when I tried using the travel control to stop it, something made a gear grinding noise, which I'm sure isn't good...is there any kind of adjustment that can be done to the brakes, or am I going to have to tear it apart to fix them, and where is the best place to find brake parts for this?

I really want this thing to last as long as possible, but I'm not going to do a full restoration on it...yet.

If there are important things I should check out that are a known issue with these, please let me know, as I plan on taking a good long look at it on Wednesday night.

Any help and direction is greatly appriciated!

below is a picture of her

Tony
tbrell

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Newbie from Southeast Missouri

Postby Colti » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Case 648 your owners manual can be obtained directly unless you have a dealer in your area. Google eastmanind. ingersoll tractor and call them to order your owners manual. Service manuals are available for every componet of the tractor from hydraulics to electrical to engines, about 14 manuals in all will cost you around $100.00. the patrs list can be downloaded from their site. The grinding noise you hear is from the tractor not having the holding valve installed, it must have still been optional in 1980. The holding valve keeps the tractor from free wheeling down hills, these were later intergrated into the travel control valve. I'am presently installing one on a 646. The serial # should be near the base of the dash panel close to the frame of the tractor. Most parts are still available new from Eastman Ind., or you can buy of course used parts from ebay, be careful with prices on ebay, lots of parts are cheaper from Eastman or Onan which is Cummins now. Hope this helps, enjoy the learning curve.
Colti

Re: Newbie from Southeast Missouri

Postby Billygoat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Congrats on your new toy. The s/n should be on a plate rivited to the control tower. You can use that # and look on the chart on this site to find year. There is most likely a manual in the files on this site for your new toy. The brake is more of just a parking brake, not a "slow you down" brake. The grinding noise is normal when slowing down using the travel control. Be aware the hydraulic system uses motor oil, not hydraulic fluid, 15w-40 is generally used by most of us as 20-50 is getting scarce.
Billygoat

Return to Meet the Members