Case Obsession sickness

Case Obsession sickness

Postby bbpitts » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:39 pm

As most of you know I'm working on a 444 rebuild which is not finished. I found this picture and I can't stop thinking about.
IMAG0298.jpg
BILL
bbpitts

Case Obsession sickness

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Case Obsession sickness

Postby ihvvet2 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:46 pm

It looks great at first until you wonder how the wheel keeps from hitting the hydraulic motor on the other side that is not shown when he tries to turn.
Chip
ihvvet2

Postby RAM50V8EFI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 am

ihvvet2 wrote:It looks great at first until you wonder how the wheel keeps from hitting the hydraulic motor on the other side that is not shown when he tries to turn.
Chip

What you are seeing is a rear steer setup which mean the steering linkage is behind the axle. That is the best place for it since the axle housing ends closer to the centerline of the axle shafts. Also, The king pin location makes the wheel swing about the axis allowing for some built in clearance while steering. Also, a 200 series motor will give you more room. Granted, the steering radius is not as good as a normal front axle but imagine both front and rear axles this way. Can you say "crab steer".
Darren, East Central Illinois
RAM50V8EFI

Postby bbpitts » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:40 pm

I briefly looked at my 444 today and if you made the distance between the wheels about 4" wider,it looks like the larger rims would clear a 400 motor. But then you would have to widen the rear to make it look right but I would lengthen the frame and add individual brakes and ps.
I just like to make stuff or maybe I am really sick. :twisted:
BILL
bbpitts

Postby Pacificojoe » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:56 pm

Looks great you'll figure out the clearance I'm sure, I just have one question on how to get the brake shaft out so I can fix my 4 bolt housing defect. If you could please help much appreciated Joe.
Pacificojoe

Return to Axle Modifications