Ingersoll 220 won't charge & bad solenoid

Electrical Open Discussion

Postby shewelt » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Picked up a 1987 (anniversary edition) Ingersoll 220, 10hp Kohler & 40" deck. Solenoid is bad, so been jumping the terminals to start. The battery goes dead during cutting, so has to be charged often. This is much newer than my 12hp CASE 222 from 1976, so not familiar with what I'm looking at. My guess is the stator is OK, and problem is what appears to be a voltage regulator, potted in clear epoxy & hanging from a pigtail. I can easily replace the solenoid, but the non-charging is an issue.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this model to help me figure out what I have here?

Any info appreciated....thanks

Scott
shewelt

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ingersoll 220 won't charge & bad solenoid

Postby Denny Smith » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 am

Hi Scott;
I just had this forum help me trouble-shoot and completely rewire a 446, so you're definitely in the right place.
Based on that experience, here's what I found that may help:

Here's the electrical print: http://www.case-ingersoll-tractors.com/ ... iagram.jpg
(it's under "Files" at the board index page).
You can check the stator output with the engine running: should be puttin' out in the neighborhood of 35 AC
If it's not, the stator is probably bad or the magnets on the flywheel are weak (also, stator coils could be covered in filth an need a good cleaning).
If the stator is OK, the run a DMM on the regulator to check output.
Also, I've discovered that if the contacts in the ignition switch are crummy (old switch), or if the ignition switch is non-OEM, it can also cause the battery not to charge.
As well, when my battery wasn't charging, and the solenoid was acting stupid, I found the cause to be a direct short at the ammeter leads (they got ripped off and the positive lead grounded to the frame).
Good luck.
Denny Smith

Postby bhildret » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:49 am

As noted, the diagram is in the parts illustration.

Most important on the charging, that potted aluminum regulator must be case grounded. You say it is 'hanging' by the pigtail. Won't work that way ... needs a case ground path.

The regulator is normally mounted with a screw to the service access panel under the steering wheel. You should also run a ground strap from that mounting bolt to a known good ground on the tractor/battery, etc. Then see if charging comes alive.

The solenoid is fairly unique to lawn/garden equipment ... not automotive. Relies on the solenoid for safety switch interactions.

I have both solenoids and regulators in stock if you are interested to pursue them.

Brian
Brian Hildreth
Salem Power Equipment, LLC
Plymouth, MI 48170
bhildret

Postby shewelt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

The diagram looks more like my 76 than this 87 I just picked up. I was hoping to identify the regulator in one of the pics, but I can easily trace the wiring & figure it out if starting from the stator. The 87 has a much smaller solenoid than in the pic, and I think the regulator on this 87 is a small (3/4" dia x 3/4" tall) round epoxy potted module with 3 wires coming out. Doesn't appear to be very high amperage if this is it, but it does appear to be OEM & not reworked. I'll take a closer look.

If I have a chance, I'll post a pic, so others may see the differences on the 80's model. May not get to it for a week or so. Thanks again for the reply!

Scott

PS:...thanks Brian...didn't see your posting until I already posted this. I will check. It's possible the tab is broken off of my regulator....which would explain a lot. I'll check. I work in Southfield, MI, so is it possible to pick up parts if I do need them in the future? Thanks again.
shewelt

Postby shewelt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Did a quick check today. The think hanging is not the regulator....not sure what it is. Anyway, found the regulator mounted to the back-side of the center access plate. The stator is OK & output (AC) is what is expected. The regulator is just a standard type, similar to other engines & snowmobiles. Did not have time today to check it out, but looks like it's something simple like the regulator or key-switch. Still don't know what that other potted module is.....Thanks

Scott
shewelt

Postby RAM50V8EFI » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:11 pm

shewelt wrote:Did a quick check today. The think hanging is not the regulator....not sure what it is. Anyway, found the regulator mounted to the back-side of the center access plate. The stator is OK & output (AC) is what is expected. The regulator is just a standard type, similar to other engines & snowmobiles. Did not have time today to check it out, but looks like it's something simple like the regulator or key-switch. Still don't know what that other potted module is.....Thanks

Scott

Scott if you can give us your PIN (serial) number for your tractor it will make it easier. I suspect the item you referenced hanging by a pigtail is the voltage sensor for the charge light but I really need your pin to be of any real assistance.
Darren, East Central Illinois
RAM50V8EFI

Return to Electrical