What type of Hydraulic oil to use!

A list of Frequently Asked Questions

Postby RAM50V8EFI » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am

The hydraulic system in the tractors use a good grade motor oil not hydraulic oil. The oil recomended is 20W-40. 20W-40 can be hard to find outside from the dealer so the usual replacement is Shell Rotella 15W-40. Whatever oil you use make sure it has sufficient sulfer content to lubricate the drive motors. Shell Rotella which is considered a diesel oil has the sulfer content needed and is most readilly available at places like farm stores, WalMart, etc.
Darren, East Central Illinois
RAM50V8EFI

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What type of Hydraulic oil to use!

Postby Shea » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:11 pm

I just bought a 4016 this weekend, I would like to change the hydraulic oil but don't know the process. Can anyone help me out?
Shea

Postby Shea » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:32 am

Thank you for the info.
Shea

Postby tchyted » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:50 pm

dang! ya learn something. . . oh. . .once a week! :lol:

seriously, i know that the oil in my case 446 neads changing badly. what exactly is the "proceedure". yes i know that one can simply undo a fitting and start the engine, let it run out into a bucket. i don't think that will get it all, won't get the crud out, and worst of all, may damage the pump. so just where does one open the system?

next question. the rear end. i can find a fill plug, but not a drain. is there one?
tchyted

Return to FAQs