Slow ground speed

A list of Frequently Asked Questions

Slow ground speed

Postby bob62 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:51 pm

I have a 1992 4016. The ground speed is very slow. When backing up on a slope it starts to free wheel then catches then free wheel then catches. I know the oil pump is ok because I have the valve on the back and run a wood splitter and have no problems with this. It seems to get worse the longer it runs. The oil is full and clean.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
bob62

Slow ground speed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Slow ground speed

Postby 3427 Ingersoll » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Bob,
Does the problem happen only in reverse when going up a hill or does it also do it going forward up a hill?

Dan
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan
3427 Ingersoll

Postby bob62 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:40 am

It happens all the time, it has a hard time making it up any kind of hill.
bob62

Postby 3427 Ingersoll » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:39 am

Bob,
Do you have to push the lever very far in either forward or reverse before you feel the drive trying to engage. If you need to move the lever a good amount before it engages then it is possible that the linkage is getting worn under the tractor and not allowing the valve to move it's full distance in either direction. Check the travel valve under the tractor. Make sure there is not much play in the linkage rods. I have seen on some of these tractors the the little ball joint will get so badly worn that there will be a lot of play in it and will not allow the valve to open all the way.

If all of the linkage looks good then you will need to make sure the valve it's self is moving the full distance in each direction. You may need some one to move the lever as you watch it under the tractor. There could be an obstruction in the valve such as a seal that may have let lose preventing full travel of the spool valve.

It would be hard for me to believe that the drive motor on the axle is going bad on that new of a tractor. Especially if the pump has never been replaced. Your tractor has the integrated holding valve in the travel valve so It is also possible that a o-ring let lose in the holding valve portion and not allowing the flow control valve to open all the way.

Dan
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.
Ronald Reagan
3427 Ingersoll

Postby bob62 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Dan,

Thanks for the input. i will check this out. I do have to move the lever a little more than I did to get it to engage, especially in forword.l

Bob
bob62

Return to FAQs